This column below was sent to me, and was written by Prioleau Alexander. While I don't agree with his appraisal of the situation, I couldn't find the link, so I just grabbed the text. You can read my retort to this here. I also just saw that our favorite Alaskan has fallen out of favor with some McCain aides for going off script. Surprised?
Anyhoo, here's Alexander's column:
The 2007/2008 War for the White House. There are those that say it'sthe worst race ever, and those that say it's the tightest race ever,and those, like me, who say it's pretty much politics as usual: MyGuy, Yea! Your Guy, Boo!
There is, however , one new phenomenon in this year's racethat baffles me, and I can say with confidence it is a new phenomenonin American politics. I'm speaking of the left's searing hatred of avice-presidential pick, Governor Sarah Palin.
Where does this come from? What is it about her that inspires such white-knuckled rage? I'm a conservative, and I thinkBarrack, Joe Biden, and runner-up Hillary have goofy political ideas,but I don't hate them. I'm happy to admit, in fact, that they are allsmart, ambitious, inspiring to their followers, and savvy. I alsoadmit to finding them to be elitist, affected, racist, andnarcissistic, but I don't hate them; it takes a lot to inspire thatemotion in me.
But Governor Palin? If you have access to the Internet,you already know what I'm talking about-- there is fury amongst tensof millions of Americans at the mere mention of her name. According tothese haters, she's not just dumb, but she's an embarrassment. She's not just unqualified, but she's proof that John McCain is an idiot. She's not just a deeply religious, but she's a close-minded, hatefulbigot.
You betcha, to coin a phrase. A bigot married to anEskimo. Happens all the time. So why the hate? Poor Dan Quayle was the butt of a billionjokes, but people didn't hate him. What are the reasons Governor Palininspires such an emotion? Let's explore a few ideas that come to mind:
She's beautiful. No two ways about it, she's America's hottest governor from America's coldest state. Not only is shebeautiful, but she's just had a fifth kid and still retains a bodythat would bode well in a bikini. I think her beauty is mosthorrifying to the grim-n-grumpy feminists on left, who are far morecomfortable with female politicos that angrily eschew things likelooks and fitness: Madelyn Albright, Janet Reno, and yes Hillary. Pretty girls are the butt of these smart women's jokes, because prettygirls have it all handed to them on a silver platter, right? Now don'tget me wrong¦ there are plenty of beautiful women who hate SarahPalin, but it's for a different reason. They hate her for herstunning, meteoric success that she rose to become Governor in amale-dominated state, while remaining married to her blue-collar0Ahusband, while raising five children, while being involved in churchand athletics and now she's potentially one heart-beat away from beingPresident! Beautiful women just don't do that because they don't haveto, of course. Maybe marriage, a career, and school board-- but notthat level of success. For a beautiful woman to see another beautifulwoman put in such hard work, ugh. It's hateful to be reminded of one'sdecision to take the bench early, I guess..
She's married to a man's man. For the last forty years,the hard left has sought to recreate American men and American womenas American human beings, as if we are somehow differentiated only byreproductive organs. Men should cry more. Women shouldn't cry at all. Men should be sensitive. Women should be tough. Men should getmanicures. Women should compete harder in sports. The destination is amushy, gushy middle, where everyone is equal, and equally unattractiveto the opposite sex. And you know what? There's been a lot of successin this area. Grim-n-grumpy feminists wake up in the morning with thePillsbury Doughboy next to them. (Boy, that's a turn-on). ThePillsbury Doughboy looks in the mirror and sees, surprise, surprise,what he's become: Effete and helpless. Then comes Todd Palin. He worksthe nightshift. In the oil industry. In Alaska. He races snow mobiles.He's got a flat belly . And he'd kick your ass in a bar fight. He'severything the Grim-n-grumpies strangled out of their husbands, andboth parties in the bed know it. That's cause for a lot of hate.
She's apparently happy. The twenty-year marriage, fivekids, started life without a trust fund, didn't marry money, workssixty hours a week just two of these horrifying afflictions would havethe hysterics on the left on meds and in therapy. And yet, Sarah Palinis not only surviving, she's thriving. She seems to be happy. Shetalks about her husband as still my guy. She looks like she's havingfun when she gives speeches. What's not to hate?
She's low-maintenance. Sarah Palin can stalk, shoot, andfield-dress a moose. She lives above the Arctic Circle. Shesnowmobiles with her guy. She ran against her own party to becomeGovernor in an uber-macho state and maintains 80%+ approval ratings.She and her husband pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. Theywork as a team. She is, quite literally, the polar-opposite of HillaryClinton. She seems to offer evidence that you don't have to be a bitchto make it. She seems to demonstrate that a sham marriage is not apre-requisite to making it big. She is hardest, meanest dose ofreality a Hillary supporter could ever be forced to see; and theresult is hate.
She makes clear the inexperience of Senator Obama. BarrackObama has less that 200 days service in the United States Senate. Hehas zero executive-level experience. None. In fact, at one point hepointed to his campaign as his executive experience, as if running forPresident makes you qualified to be President. Personally, I have noproblem with Obama's lack of experience. Hell, I think I could bePresident, sipping on martinis and taking advice from my hand-pickedadvisors. But the problem with Sarah is this: A leftist cannot rub herface in the dirt of experience without stuffing Barrack's in theretoo. She has executive experience as a mayor and a Governor, and hehas none. Zero. And the fact that Obama supporters are put in aposition where they have no choice but to sound stupid andhypocritical in discussing Obama's superior qualifications well,hatred is the only viable emotion.
She is one of us. This, I think, is the thing thatinspires the deepest hatred. You see, Americans love their championsand leaders up on a pedestal, invincible and removed. We like oursports heroes to embarrass and crush the challengers. We like ourmovie stars nothing less than perfect. We like our politicians to bemembers of Mensa, or brilliant orators, or war heroes, or fabulouslywealthy aristocrats who've never worked. Why? Because we love ourstars not for the light they shine down on us, but how far away fromus they are. Sarah Palin reminds us of how little most of us haveachieved, that 99% of us are mere scrappers, vying for=2,010,000thplace. She is the American success story of a woman who took what shewas given, and multiplied it one-hundred fold.
And for that, I love Sarah Palin. And even if she fadesinto political obscurity in the next two months, I will alwaysremember 2008 as the year I was, probably for the last time, inspiredby an American politician.
Anyhoo, here's Alexander's column:
The 2007/2008 War for the White House. There are those that say it'sthe worst race ever, and those that say it's the tightest race ever,and those, like me, who say it's pretty much politics as usual: MyGuy, Yea! Your Guy, Boo!
There is, however , one new phenomenon in this year's racethat baffles me, and I can say with confidence it is a new phenomenonin American politics. I'm speaking of the left's searing hatred of avice-presidential pick, Governor Sarah Palin.
Where does this come from? What is it about her that inspires such white-knuckled rage? I'm a conservative, and I thinkBarrack, Joe Biden, and runner-up Hillary have goofy political ideas,but I don't hate them. I'm happy to admit, in fact, that they are allsmart, ambitious, inspiring to their followers, and savvy. I alsoadmit to finding them to be elitist, affected, racist, andnarcissistic, but I don't hate them; it takes a lot to inspire thatemotion in me.
But Governor Palin? If you have access to the Internet,you already know what I'm talking about-- there is fury amongst tensof millions of Americans at the mere mention of her name. According tothese haters, she's not just dumb, but she's an embarrassment. She's not just unqualified, but she's proof that John McCain is an idiot. She's not just a deeply religious, but she's a close-minded, hatefulbigot.
You betcha, to coin a phrase. A bigot married to anEskimo. Happens all the time. So why the hate? Poor Dan Quayle was the butt of a billionjokes, but people didn't hate him. What are the reasons Governor Palininspires such an emotion? Let's explore a few ideas that come to mind:
She's beautiful. No two ways about it, she's America's hottest governor from America's coldest state. Not only is shebeautiful, but she's just had a fifth kid and still retains a bodythat would bode well in a bikini. I think her beauty is mosthorrifying to the grim-n-grumpy feminists on left, who are far morecomfortable with female politicos that angrily eschew things likelooks and fitness: Madelyn Albright, Janet Reno, and yes Hillary. Pretty girls are the butt of these smart women's jokes, because prettygirls have it all handed to them on a silver platter, right? Now don'tget me wrong¦ there are plenty of beautiful women who hate SarahPalin, but it's for a different reason. They hate her for herstunning, meteoric success that she rose to become Governor in amale-dominated state, while remaining married to her blue-collar0Ahusband, while raising five children, while being involved in churchand athletics and now she's potentially one heart-beat away from beingPresident! Beautiful women just don't do that because they don't haveto, of course. Maybe marriage, a career, and school board-- but notthat level of success. For a beautiful woman to see another beautifulwoman put in such hard work, ugh. It's hateful to be reminded of one'sdecision to take the bench early, I guess..
She's married to a man's man. For the last forty years,the hard left has sought to recreate American men and American womenas American human beings, as if we are somehow differentiated only byreproductive organs. Men should cry more. Women shouldn't cry at all. Men should be sensitive. Women should be tough. Men should getmanicures. Women should compete harder in sports. The destination is amushy, gushy middle, where everyone is equal, and equally unattractiveto the opposite sex. And you know what? There's been a lot of successin this area. Grim-n-grumpy feminists wake up in the morning with thePillsbury Doughboy next to them. (Boy, that's a turn-on). ThePillsbury Doughboy looks in the mirror and sees, surprise, surprise,what he's become: Effete and helpless. Then comes Todd Palin. He worksthe nightshift. In the oil industry. In Alaska. He races snow mobiles.He's got a flat belly . And he'd kick your ass in a bar fight. He'severything the Grim-n-grumpies strangled out of their husbands, andboth parties in the bed know it. That's cause for a lot of hate.
She's apparently happy. The twenty-year marriage, fivekids, started life without a trust fund, didn't marry money, workssixty hours a week just two of these horrifying afflictions would havethe hysterics on the left on meds and in therapy. And yet, Sarah Palinis not only surviving, she's thriving. She seems to be happy. Shetalks about her husband as still my guy. She looks like she's havingfun when she gives speeches. What's not to hate?
She's low-maintenance. Sarah Palin can stalk, shoot, andfield-dress a moose. She lives above the Arctic Circle. Shesnowmobiles with her guy. She ran against her own party to becomeGovernor in an uber-macho state and maintains 80%+ approval ratings.She and her husband pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. Theywork as a team. She is, quite literally, the polar-opposite of HillaryClinton. She seems to offer evidence that you don't have to be a bitchto make it. She seems to demonstrate that a sham marriage is not apre-requisite to making it big. She is hardest, meanest dose ofreality a Hillary supporter could ever be forced to see; and theresult is hate.
She makes clear the inexperience of Senator Obama. BarrackObama has less that 200 days service in the United States Senate. Hehas zero executive-level experience. None. In fact, at one point hepointed to his campaign as his executive experience, as if running forPresident makes you qualified to be President. Personally, I have noproblem with Obama's lack of experience. Hell, I think I could bePresident, sipping on martinis and taking advice from my hand-pickedadvisors. But the problem with Sarah is this: A leftist cannot rub herface in the dirt of experience without stuffing Barrack's in theretoo. She has executive experience as a mayor and a Governor, and hehas none. Zero. And the fact that Obama supporters are put in aposition where they have no choice but to sound stupid andhypocritical in discussing Obama's superior qualifications well,hatred is the only viable emotion.
She is one of us. This, I think, is the thing thatinspires the deepest hatred. You see, Americans love their championsand leaders up on a pedestal, invincible and removed. We like oursports heroes to embarrass and crush the challengers. We like ourmovie stars nothing less than perfect. We like our politicians to bemembers of Mensa, or brilliant orators, or war heroes, or fabulouslywealthy aristocrats who've never worked. Why? Because we love ourstars not for the light they shine down on us, but how far away fromus they are. Sarah Palin reminds us of how little most of us haveachieved, that 99% of us are mere scrappers, vying for=2,010,000thplace. She is the American success story of a woman who took what shewas given, and multiplied it one-hundred fold.
And for that, I love Sarah Palin. And even if she fadesinto political obscurity in the next two months, I will alwaysremember 2008 as the year I was, probably for the last time, inspiredby an American politician.
Comments